Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hurricane Ike

DALLAS: Just watched the Weather Channel special on Hurricane Ike. The narrator kept saying, "September 13,2008,". My family and I were in Dallas for my niece, Autumn's wedding. Many people on the coast were trying to get rooms in the Dallas area.We had no problem in route to Dallas, everyone appeared to be heading North/NorthEast. We were earily alone heading west on I-20.Ali had driven up/evacuated from Baton Rouge,thankfully she had planned on attending the wedding. Tamara and Mark were given a mandantory evacuation in Ft.Bend County, thankfully they had already planned on attending the wedding. So, we had our evauation for Ike planned courtesy of Autumn and Morgan. Ali had just returned to Baton Rouge after Hurricane Gustav took Baton Rouge by storm.It was her first week back in school and they were already given another evacuation announcement. Her power had been restored and thankfully Baton Rouge did not suffer from the rampage another hurricane could bring.I don't think Mark's parents had power restored from Gustav by that date, but I assume they were thankful the trees missed their beautiful home during Gustav and Ike had not hit the city. If I remember correctly Tamara and Mark's power was restored by the time they returned home.They were so smart they emptied and packed up freezer items before they left they left. Mark, you get credit for getting it all together. FYI, always empty the freezer and refrigerator before evacuation. I do remember the schools being closed. It makes sense,so many employees commute. If they can't return home, how do you return to work? Having gone through the direct path of several hurricanes,vividly remembering Hurricane Carla,a Cat4, I have no problem heading north as soon as they recommend evacuation, I make reservations, arrangements, whatever it takes, I am on the road to a safe area. I did get report from Nana G.J. that Mama Teresa's Flying Pizza is gone, as is most of Crystal Beach and Port Bolivar. I was standing with Uncle Dave in one of turrets viewing the Dallas skyline,watching the wind and rain. We were so happy for Autumn and Morgan.They looked so beautiful together. Hurricane Ike didn't rain on our parade.

GALVESTON: Here we come in a few weeks to help rebuild the economy. We will enjoy the town for the weekend. Ali will participate in the LONESTAR Half-Iron. Go Ali! But props to the LONESTAR committee for having the event this year. It would have been so easy for them to say the area is not ready yet for the event. The event will bring people,their families,and friends to Galveston. We will eat out, shop, and cheer on our athlete. Moody Gardens(we have tickets to all attractions), Gaido's, the Strand,the Seawall, here we come! This will be a different visit than last year. So much has changed for Galveston and the southeast Texas coastline since Hurricane Ike. I look forward to visiting Galveston, the barrier island of my youth.

Galveston, oh Galveston,
teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment